Department of Philosophical Problems in Social Sciences and Humanities until 2013 was known as the Center of the Methodology and the Ethics of Science, which was led by Major Research Fellow Ogurtsov Alexander (09.14.1936 - 05.08.2014). The center also aroseon basis of the sector "The Axiology of knowledge and the methodology of science" during the regular reorganization of the Institute of Philosophy. Among the employees of that sector were such outstanding Russian scientists and it's Leading Research Fellows V.V. Bibihin (29.08.1938 - 12.12.2004) and DSc in Philosophy V.S. Chernyak (08.04.1938 - 05.07.2006). Since 2014 the department is headed by a Principal Research Fellow Blucher Fyodor Nikolaevich.
In 2001 the Centre received a diploma from the Open Society Institute for it's active participation in the Institute's of Philosophy of Russian Academy cooperation program with Novosibirsk State University.
Compilation of articles "Methodology of Science: Challenges and History" (2003) got the 1st prize in the Institute's of Philosophy of Russian Academy competition of the best books in 2005.
In 2006 the head of the center A.P. Ogurtsov in conjunction with a Leading Research Fellow Neretina Svetlana Sergeyevna began the online publication of "VOX. The Journal of Philosophy", which goes on till these days, for 10 years.
The main themes of the sector:
- the disclosure concerns of the methodology of science and the ethics of science
- identification of places and features of scientific methodology as part of the philosophy of science
- methodological analysis of diversity programs and communication methodology of science with the history of science
- research and discourse analysis of different discursive practices.
- discourse analysis and discursive practices