Department of the History of Russian Philosophy
Head of the Department - Leading Research Fellow, Ph.D. in Philosophy Anatoly V. Chernyaev.
The department's brief history
Department of the russian philosophy was founded after World War II under the name «Department of the History of the USSR nation's Philosophy». Vasiliy E. Evgrafov was its first head in 1958-1982. Under his leadership was realized fundamental project of preparation and publication of «The history of philosophy of USSR» in в 5 volumes (1968-1988). Later Department was remaned in «Department of the History of philosophy and atheism in USSR» and leaded by Andrei D. Sukhov (1982-1992). Department found present name in 1989. In 1992-2013 Mikhail N. Gromov was its head. In the years of 1990-2000 Department's research fellows took active part in the process of russian philosophical thought's return in the intellectual public space. They created some of the first resumptive monographs on russian philosophy and a number of monographs, that representing and analyzing philosophic works of individual thinkers. Department's scholars made their contribution on preparation of volumes a series «From the History of national philosophical thought» – the joint project of "Problems of Philosophy" journal, Institute of Philosophy of USSR Academy of Sciences and Philosophical Society of USSR (volumes consecrated to Mikhail A. Bakunin and Pavel I. Novgorodsev), they had other publication activities. Department's research fellows took aggressive part in creation of encyclopaedia «Russian Philosophy» edited by Mikhail A. Maslin. Since 2011 seminar «Problems of the Study of Russian Thought» working on the basis of Department of the History of Russian Philosophy (director - A.V. Chernyaev). The purposes of the seminar are professional discussions on relevant issues of the history of Russian philosophical thought and public disclosure of recent scientific achievements in the indicated fields of research.
Since 2013 Department headed by Anatoly V. Chernyaev.
The main fields of research
The Subject of the Departmen according to the public task in 2014-2017: «Fundamental investigations on the history of russian philosophy: origins, methodology, publications» (№ 0156-2014-0034).
Department realizes studies in the wide field of scientific problems and large chronological scope: from the period of Old Russia till Modern Epoch of the History of Russian Philosophical Thought. Particularly, Mikhail N. Gromov specializing in problems of Medieval Russian Thought; Sergei I. Bazhov, Irina V. Borisova, Vladimir V. Sidorin - in Russian Philosophy of XIX century; Alexandra Y. Berdnikova, Alexander S. Tsygankov, Kseniya V. Vorozhikhina and Anatoly V. Chernyaev occupied in Russian Religious Philosophy of XX century; Sergei N. Korsakov - in history of Soviet philosophy. Scholars of the Department are involved in close cooperation with leading representatives of related science: History, Philology, study of Art & Religious studies.
The department's chief aims and problems of research activity are
- realization of fundamental source study and conceptual investigations on the history of russian philosophy;
- study of genesis, evolution, typology and specificity of russian philosophy, its place and significance in the culture;
- search and analysis of sources on the history of russian philosophy in russian and foreign funds;
- scientific preparation and publication of russian philosophical thought's monuments;
- study of russian thinkers creative biographies, ideologic and social correlations and interferences of russian thinkers;
- comparative analysis of russian thinker's conceptions in the world historical and philosophical context;
- actual interpretation and actualization of russian philosophy's heritage.
- Anatoly V. Chernyaev, Ph.D. in Philosophy, Leading Research Fellow
- Sergei I. Bazhov, Ph.D. in Philosophy, Senior Research Fellow
- Alexandra Y. Berdnikova, Ph.D. in Philosophy, Research Fellow
- Irina V. Borisova, Research Fellow
- Ksenia V. Vorozhikhina, Ph.D. in Philosophy, Senior Research Fellow
- Mikhail N. Gromov, Dr. Sc. in Philosophy, Chief Research Fellow
- Irina A. Katsapova, Ph.D. in Philosophy, Senior Research Fellow
- Sergei N. Korsakov, D.Sc. in Philosophy, Leading Research Fellow
- Vladimir V. Sidorin, Ph.D. in Philosophy, Research Fellow
- Alexander S. Tsygankov, Ph.D. in Philosophy, Senior Research Fellow
Visiting Research Fellows:
Last years books of department fellows:
- Tsygankov A.S., Obolevich T. Dutch episode in the philosophical biography of S.L. Frank (new materials). M.: IPhRAS, 2020;
- Gennady Alexandrovich Svechnikov / Ed. by S.N. Korsakov, L.A. Kalashnikov. M.: IPhRAS, 2019;
- Piama Pavlovna Gaydenko / Ed. by S.N. Korsakov, L.A. Kalashnikov. M.: IPhRAS, 2019;
- Russia and Turkey: Dialogue of philosophers / Ed. by A.V. Chernyaev. M.: Gnosis, 2019;
- Tsygankov A.S., Obolevich T. The German period of philosophical biography of S.L. Frank (new materials). M.: IPhRAS, 2019;
- Georgyi Lukich Smirnov / Ed. by S.N. Korsakov, E.G. Krivykh, L.A. Kalashnikov. M.: IPhRAS, 2018;
- Speyr A. von. The Secret of Death / Transl. by A.S. Tsygankov. M.: BBI, 2018;
- Tsygankov A.S. The history of ancient Russian spiritual culture of the X – XVII centuries. M.: Integration: Education and Science LLC, 2018;
- Ehlen P. Ontology and Anthropology of S.L. Frank / Foreword, trans. and comment. by A.S. Tsygankov. M.: IPhRAS, 2017;
Publications of the previous years
Department participates in publication of periodical «The history of philosophy. Historico-philosohical journal». The following fascicles were edited by departments fellows:
№ 2. М.: IPhRAS, 1998; № 4. М.: IPhRAS, 1999; № 6. М.: IPhRAS, 2000; № 9 М.: IPhRAS, 2002; №16. М.: IPhRAS, 2011; №19. М.: IPhRAS, 2014; Т. 21 № 1. М.: IPhRAS, 2016.
- "RE: ACTION" program. Topic: "Prayer for Belarus", with the participation of Anatoly V. Chernyaev, TV channel "Spas". September 16, 2020.
- Russian scientific conference "Civilizational development of modern Russia: a philosophical perspective" (moderator - Anatoly V. Chernyaev; with participation of Vladimir V. Sidorin), June 26, 2020.
- Scientific conference "The Great Victory and Russian Philosophy: the relevance of heritage (to the 75th anniversary of Victory in the Great Patriotic War)" (moderator - Anatoly V. Chernyaev; with participation of Sergei I. Bazhov, Sergei N. Korsakov, Vladimir V. Sidorin, Alexander S. Tsygankov). May 7, 2020.
- 23th session of seminar «Problems of the Study of Russian Thought»: «Russian philosopher on newsreels: Lecture course of S.L. Frank 1932 in Amersfoort» (lecturer Alexander S. Tsygankov). IPhRAS, February 18, 2019.
- Round-table discussion "Correspondence of S.L. Frank and L. Binswanger in the context of Russian-German intellectual ties". IPhRAS, December 17, 2019.
- The documentary "Mysteries of Life. The Paradoxes of Knowledge" dedicated to Academician I.T. Frolov, with the participation of Sergei N. Korsakov, VGTRK "Culture". August 30, 2019.
- Tatyana Vitalyevna, daughter of Professor V.V. Bogatov, presented creative materials of her father to the Department of the history of Russian philosophy, Institute of Philosophy RAS. June 27, 2019;
- 22th session of seminar «Problems of the Study of Russian Thought»: «Vladimir Solovyov and Russian religious idealism» (lecturer Randall A. Poole). IPhRAS, May 30, 2019;
- 21th session of seminar «Problems of the Study of Russian Thought»: «Ethics of feelings of V.S. Solovyov in the context of European philosophical thought» (lecturer Andreas Buller). IPhRAS, October 4, 2018;
- 20th session of seminar «Problems of the Study of Russian Thought»: «Human rights and the problem of personal dignity in Russian religious thought» (lecturer Randall A. Poole). IPhRAS, May 31, 2018;
- 19th session of seminar «Problems of the Study of Russian Thought»: «Unknown letters of Lev Shestov to Barbara Malakhieva-Mirovich (1895–1898)» (lecturer N.A. Gromova). IPhRAS, April 24, 2018;
- 18th session of seminar «Problems of the Study of Russian Thought»: «Russian philosopher V.E. Sezeman» (lecturer V.N. Belov). IPhRAS, March 6, 2018.
All previous events
Department maintains scientific connections with Institut of Philosophy of National Academia of Science (Ukraine), philosophical department of Belarussian university (Minsk), universities in Grodno, Vitebsk, Brest (Belarussia), Prešov (Slovakia), Krakow (Poland). Joint scientific conferences, round-table discussions are realizing, joint books are publishing.
Address: room 316, Goncharnaya 12/1, Moscow, 109240, Russian Federation.
Tel.: (495) 697-91-28.